5.27.2007

Zombies ruin everything

  • Remember that whole thing I was going on about with Google and privacy? Looks like the EU is on it. Yay government overreaching!
  • As I've said before, support the troops. PAY THEM. "Support the troops" cheerleader rhetoric, especially with Memorial Day right around the corner, has worn particularly thin on me ever since Joel Stein's "I Don't Support The Troops" op-ed came out, to much outcry. Whenever a platitude, truism, slogan, etc. becomes so ingrained that it is untouchable, it loses all meaning and is bent to whoever speaks it. (Witness the Giuliani-9/11 phenomenon.) "Supporting the troops" apparently means sending them with no clear mission other than "victory" (whatever that is), not ensuring their supply lines, paying them poorly, and then abandoning them afterwards. No one who endorses keeping soldiers in this hellhole "supports" anything but their own empty rhetoric. In the meantime, they enjoy "obscene amenities" such as this. Happy Memorial Day. I honestly don't know how the Bushies live with themselves.
  • Argh! Cheney doesn't quit! Neither, apparently, does any other Republican. Many argue that the Democrats aren't going to change the culture that spawned the Bush monster. But at least they should be better than these bozos... right?
  • I want to note here that the news depresses me more than ever these days. On the way back from Monaco with Anna, I read through the Herald-Tribune, and as much as "there's no news like bad news," I've rarely felt much worse about current events as I do these days. I don't know if our times are necessarily darker than those in the past, or if us news junkies have just become more aware of, and consequently jaded towards, the events of the world. In today's edition, I saw violence continuing in Iraq, Aung San Suu Kyi confined to another year's house arrest, escalating violence in Lebanon and Israel, and a snotty article by Tyler Brule. To watch the forces of what can only be described as evil rising on both sides with the Islamofascists facing off against the militarist American Great Leader complex on the other, and all manner of despots and crackpots in between, one wonders how much longer our humble race and blustery country can keep on putting.
  • Which is why I'm really hoping for this. Maybe it's a dopey hope that won't be fully realized, but better tarnished hope than assured despair. Who knows if any true changes will come to pass? For now, I've got the audacity to hope.
  • More on lolcats, Fark on lolpresidents. My favorite is probably William Howard Taft with "I can has cheezburger?"
All right, time for the video selection. Gotta go with some classic Wu-Tang. It's a blast from a past... 2,000,000 B.C. that is. Wu-Tang always had such awesome videos... and no airplay. Ninjas + dinosaurs + caveman attired video girls + overly furry jackets + Ghostface = genius. Back, back, and forth, forth.

No comments: