4.12.2007

Protest edition

  • Geez, some protestors. Chickened out after threats of suspension, which aren't you know, unreasonable. Thoreau spent time in jail for his civil disobedience. These kids are in tears over a potential suspension? Something an administrator said in the article should hit it home:
    "If people do want to engage in civil disobedience, there are consequences that come with civil disobedience."
    "Unusual and extreme tactics"? I am ordinarily an anti-establishment sympathizer, but the administration tactics don't strike me as particularly diabolical. No threats of physical violence, no cops. Yeesh, get over it.
  • Meanwhile, here's a protest that really matters. A librarian stands up for civil liberties before Congress.
  • Wait, you lost the e-mails? Just, whoops! Lost! As much as I cringe when I hear lefty bloggers refer to the Bush Administration as the "Bush Crime Family," the Bushies aren't making it any easier for themselves. The cover-up is growing worse than the crime. Why does Gonzales still have a job? Fire him.
  • This story of concern over an Asian supermarket is kind of inexplicable to me, just because I can't imagine why it's such a big deal. I mean, we have Diho Market just over in Westmont, and I have a feeling that Southern California has long had more experience with Asian presence than the west suburbs of Chicago. Needless to say, the veiled xenophobia is still clear. A quote from Larry Blugrind, a protestor quoted in the Times piece:
    "My worry is that 99 Ranch could be a steppingstone for [our community] to become all Asian," he said. "I don't want another Hacienda Heights."
    Translation: I liked it better when you were "diverse" window dressing, and white people were still in control. Also hilarious in the story, they cite as part of the "changing face" of the community... "a karate studio, a Chinese buffet and Thai restaurants." Gasp! Shock! I'm pretty sure you could find those almost everywhere in America. The real question is, how did Chino Hills avoid them for so long?
  • OK, I wasn't going to comment on the Rudy bread "gaffe" (if it can be described as such), but since HuffPost still has it on its frontpage, I thought I'd mention it. Honestly, it seems like much ado about nothing. So what if he doesn't know how much a gallon of milk is? That doesn't mean he's "ouf of touch" with the people. Most people do not spend most of their money (or even their food budget) on bread and milk. (And, btw, despite national averages and whatnot, I remember buying bread for a buck a loaf at the Kroger.) In any case, running for President is not the Showcase Showdown. There are plenty of reasons not to vote for, or even like, Rudy Giuliani. Plenty. This is not one of them.
  • AltHouse on campus free speech. We can't all be nice folks, especially when it comes to heated topics, and I don't think a university should civility upon people. Let'em say what they want. Also, what the hell is with those "free speech zones"? I'm pretty sure the whole campus is a free speech zone. Or should be, anyways.

No comments: